Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Review of Reading 27: Seeing Green: Knowing and Saving the Environment on Film


Seeing Green: Know and Saving the Environment on Film, this was quite an interesting piece of reading. I believe what this article was trying to accomplish is to give the reader a sense of how the mass media depicts its role in establishing and conveying environmental problems and solutions. It goes into depth on the topics of natural processes, environmental degradation and solutions from filmmakers making these documentaries. Because mass media plays a large role on our society many of these documentary films are going to affect the viewers.

These filmmakers are able to display a rain forest disappearing or wildlife in danger and get people into taking action on these problems. A lot of it is due to the dramatic feeling that can be captured from watching these films. Think of the difference, if you are simply told that over in the Amazon Rain Forest trees are being cut down by the hundreds each day. Is this going to have the same effect on you as if you were to view it happening on film and tied in with dramatic music?

The Fantasies of Natural History Film


Much of us will watch a film on the environment and only take in and believe what we see, not what may really be there. For example, the article states that a film that shows a cheetah in dead sprint to catch a gazelle in an open field looks secluded from the world but do we really know what surrounds that area. There may be a van of tourists, roads nearby, or even power lines. So when we view this film we get a sense that the scene is taking place in an untouched, unpopulated, and uncivilized area. It seems as if they do this to mislead us in how our planet really looks like. Possibly the point of them doing this is to comfort us so that we THINK that environement is what it use to be and not becoming.

Framing Environmental Degradation

I would like to go over one of the many films this section talks about. The film is called On Natures Terms (de Graaf 2001). This film shows the life of large predatory mammals in the United States. The main point for this film is that mammals such as wolves, pumas, and bears are "keystone species," which means they are critical indicators to a healthy ecosystem. They get this label because these mammals require so much land and are able to regulate the population of other animals. Due to government polices and suburban sprawl is contributing to the decline in population levels of those three animals, causing a domino effect into ruining the ecosystem health. This film shows just that and how citizens are taking actions into conserve the land and preserve the species but doesn't show any change in attitudes of Americans thoughts on predator loss. You have to be able to show attitude in order to have an impact on others to change thier attitude about the problem and commit to finding a solution. Another interesting point I found in this section was about a Malaysian logging company is cutting and exporting tropical timber on a Solomon Island called Rendova. It goes on to talk about a group called Haforai Development Corporation, villagers of this group are not sure whether to resign a contract to allow them to continue cutting down trees basically because there has been a steep decline in the tropical tree resources on the island. It confuses me to think that these people must have not thought what may happen after continous exportation of thier resrouces. According to one logger interviewd "the devestation of logging is obvious and what once use to be a clear river is now muddy." Such continous acts of degradation will be very detrimental to our planet.

Visualizing Green Crusades


The green crusades reference the films that are entirely up to saving the environment or atleast raise questions about what strategies will work. These films try to illustrate that knowledge on environemental practices are based on social orders and hierarchies, and the role of individuals promoting structural change. The film Save the Panda (Birch 1983) says it all in the title. The goal is to catalyst individuals to take there own actions on saving China's pandas which are still on the road to extinction. It sets the path for people to take action but many people just aren't sure how to go about that path. Setting up signs to tell poachers about the consequences won't get us anywhere. Although these films may encourage peope to act, I just don't feel many people do, they think others will take action. This section didn't give to much insight into solutions that would hopefully lead to green crusades.

I Pondered...

This article contained quite a bit of information so I had to read through it twice but I stil don't think I fully understand everything on the pages. What really made me think was the section about the Malaysian logging company and the villagers of Rendova. It seems to me that this still occurs in our world today. We are cutting down trees and its like DUH!, we don't even get what were doing. The villagers only realize the damage to there environment when its to late. Also I guess I never thought of what may be cut out of scences when I view a documentary like Planet Earth (A MUST SEE) or any othere, there may be roads or power lines or a town nearby. We accept to much of what we see and not the reality. That has made me to be more aware of what mass media is feeding us.

26 comments:

  1. Hey Noah-
    I definitely agree with your statement in the last paragraph when you said "we accept to much of what we see and not the reality." I think too many people think (or want to think) our environment is fine and there is nothing to worry about, when in reality that's not the case. They assume others will take care of all the problems, but what happens if nobody takes action? Great job on your post. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Noah-
    I really enjoyed your post!I agree with your point that you have to be able to show attitude in order to have an impact on others to change thier attitude about the problem and commit to finding a solution. If you don't do your part, other people will not follow your example. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your review is very well organized. It looks as though you put a lot of thought into the layout of your review. I like the point you make in your "I ponder" section. The fact that we believe what we see. this should not always be the case. We shouldn't always believe what we see, we should deconstruct what we see and then decide if it holds up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, never really considered what was being edited out of frames in environmental films. As soon as I read that part of the article I couldn't believe I always just assume all those gorgeous remote places are actually that unpopulated. Of course the film crew is going to strategically exclude vehicles, roads, power lines, etc. because so many of us don't want to know the reality of such areas! I felt so silly not to have thought about this before. I immediately realized that I have done this same sort of editing. Having spent last year studying abroad in England, I had the opportunity to do quite a bit of traveling around Europe. There were times when I stood around and waited for quite awhile just to get a photo of something without any tourists in it! Maybe I was unknowingly creating a false reality for myself that reinforced the expectations I had set for the places I visited because sometimes that was easier than admitting I was disappointed with what a place really was like. I'm not saying that these same motives are behind the editing of environmental films, but it definitely gave me something to think about and a way to relate to the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noah,
    Good post, you really had some good hyper links to more information. I like that you include in your post that there are still some videos out there that are actually getting it right and portraying an accurate depiction of what is happening. According to the article in our book, video gets people interested in the cause, but that the interest is short term and doesn't often end up in any action being taken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with how wierd it is to think about, more in-depth, what the media is really feeding into our little minds. It is so common tonot think about what could actually be going on around the animals in the movie, like you said, there could be power lines, a bus full of people, and such. I also agree with how by cutting down all the trees, those people most likely are not thinking much outside their own immediate surroundings. Its a circle of life, what they do affects us, in turn affecting them. Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noah-

    I had trouble reading this article as well. I read it through twice and even had to skim it a 3rd time when I was trying to write my review. I definitely agree, when thinking back to documentaries and films that I've watched for classes... what was left out or edited? Things would be so much more effective I think if everything was shown and "real life" was portrayed. I thought that logger story was really interesting as well. We are still cutting down trees left and right still. Maybe someday in the near future we'll start thinking about this... hopefully. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Noah,

    Great post and cute picture! It's crazy how film makers are able to do what they do by making edits so the viewers are made to see what the makers want them to see and believe. I liked your point made under the visualizing green crusade. We can tell people not to do something by putting up signs, but that's not going to stop everyone. It's hard to find solutions to issues like this, but trying different methods is better than not trying at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Noah-
    I agree with what you said in the last paragraph about how we "accept too much of what we see and not the reality". I thought that was an interesting section in the reading. I have taken part (as I assume many others have at some point)in accepting things that I see, instead of thinking critically and accepting reality. I don't think we realize how often we do this in our everyday lives. Reading this chapter and your post has helped me to be more concious of what I am watching when it comes to a "natural environment" shown on the television or a movie.
    I've seen some of the Planet Earth series and they're awesome! (Although now I do kind of wonder about some of the filming now).
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Noah-
    You did a great job on this review, you included great links to helpful terms and concepts, and I really enjoyed the wonderful discussion points your brought up. Specifically,the idea that "much of us will watch a film on the environment and only take in and believe what we see, not what may really be there." What we see and take as truth from the media, and film makers today might be very enhanced and not at all descriptive of the real natural environment. Again, feel like you did a great job and reading your post really was interesting and made me think. The information about logging was really interesting as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel that if you see how bad something is, it affects you more strongly than if you just hear about it. So I think that is one great pro of documentaries. And then like you said, adding dramatic music to what you are seeing, makes things even more serious. The other things that I really like that you mentioned was how what you see isn't always what it really looks like. I have always pictured Africa as completely open and unpopulated when I see the documentaries on lions, but in all reality, the filming crew may be cutting out the film that has power lines, roads, or towns in it. That really makes me think, what are we really watching?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Noah!

    Like, you I also had to read through the article more than once to comprehend what the text was saying. I definitely struggled! Also, I have been meaning to watch Planet Earth, and now that you recommended it, I am definitely going to watch it before the semester is over! As you mentioned, I will just have to keep in mind that we have to be aware of what the mass media is feeding us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that from reading your blog, we shouldn’t believe everything we see on the discovery channel or animal planet. I mean with editing techniques whose to say what were watching is really what’s going on? I agree with the whole logging thing also, we still use paper everywhere; we must still be cutting down trees even if we don’t see them do it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Noah,

    I agree with you when you say people need to have a change of attitude when it comes to environmental changes. If there are people who change their attitude, become advocates and voice their opinions on how we can make things better just by the little things we do (things that most videos don't depict) it would influence the others around them. Showing realistic videos, thoughts, ideas and attitudes is what sparks that change in the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Noah-
    I agree with the statement that people only take in and believe what we see, not what may really be there. I am guilty of this myself I tend to watch shows and believe what I see even if its not actually the truth. Its hard to believe that we tend to look past the truth even when it comes to something as big as the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Noah,

    I enjoyed reading your blog! You bring up really good points about how it is up to us to do something about the environment since we created this whole mess. I like how you linked the definitions right in your paragraphs instead of making a separate definitions list. That way, if I didn't know what a word meant, I could just click on it right then and there instead of scrolling up and down over and over again. The picture of the panda chilling on the tree stump is awesome! Good review!

    PS. I agree, everyone should watch Planet Earth, especially people in this class!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Noah- I really like your blog! great title!!I also enjoyed reading your review. You make some really good points. I definately struggled with this text also so it is not just you! You included some great links which were very helpful! It looks like you put a lot of thought and work into your review. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Noah- I really like that you added in Planet Earth, considering it is such a popular series. You are right, for all we know there might be roads and power lines right where they are filming, but we just can't see it. I really like how you set up your post and linked the vocab words right in your paragraphs! You make some really good points throughout your post. I think this article really opened my eyes to realizing what I see on tv may not be the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Noah,
    After all the struggles with our blogs, it looks like you have got it all together!
    Anyways, I enjoyed reading your post. That panda bear is the cutest thing ever. But it also shows the sadness of the cut-down tree :(
    Good question about just hearing about the issues as opposed to watching something. I agree, people in general remember more by seeing things rather than hearing about them. That is why I hope filmmakers make really educational and persuasive documentaries!
    Wow, I never thought about films showing us the animals in their "natural" environment, when there could easily be roads, cars, people etc. everywhere! It kind of takes out the "fantasy" of natural life.
    I never knew much about "keystone" species, but now I think I know a little more! They are so important in biodiversity that many people don't realize that we also need to save the predators in our environment.
    Do you think pandas will be able to get off the endangered list?
    I liked that you brought up Planet Earth (huge fan). Now I am really curious as to how much of a reality it all is!
    Overall, great reading review. Keep up the good work Noah!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Noah- It really is creepy on how much media puts into our minds...but that is what advertisement is and they are really good at what they do too!! This article really did open my eyes to some of the truths behind the scenes though.

    p.s. I really liked your picture that you included with it too! It really added to your statement I think!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Noah--You always sit there in class, so quiet and innocent and then you write something like this!! First of all, you are a very talented writer...second, you mentioned that you were'nt sure if you understood what the essay was saying or not, but I think you clearly got the gist.
    It is very admirable of you to do research on one of the documentaries the article talked about. It was very helpful for me to read more on what the author was talking about.
    I have never seen Planet Earth. The "( A MUST SEE)" probably just convinced me to scope that documentary out!
    Very well written review of the essay. You summarized everything in an organized way, and your writing was very easy to follow. Keep up the good work! --S

    ReplyDelete
  23. Heya Noah. Great review of the reading. First, awesome panda picture. Otherwise, I also had to look over the reading twice, it was kind of tough to gather up all of the information. But you did a great job with it, and had all the links done well and also with the headers and making it easy to read! Have a good one

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Noah, you did a really good job of summarizing the reading and adding your personal thoughts. I too, am a fan of Planet Earth so I'm also wondered if it was staged. I don't think so because it is so educational and calm most of the time, but we never know. Lastly, the Panda picture was way cute and I liked how the key terms were sited during the post=) Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Noah!

    I toally agree with what you said about how big an impact an issue can have on you if you actually see it in person. That is defianately a great way to get people involved in the environment! I also agree with you on the fact that unless people have a good attitude towards helping the environment, nothing's gonna happen. It won't matter if everyone knows but doesn't care.

    I felt kind of the same way that you did about having a hard time understanding all of the article. I had to read over a couple of the paragraphs more than once to get the whole message. ps Planet Earth is AMAZING!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great job on your review! I really liked how you organized it.
    I am the biggest victim of believing anything documentary films show.
    I liked how you stated that "You have to be able to show attitude in order to have an impact on others to change their attitude about the problem and commit to finding a solution." That's very real. As you said, even though these films impact us we don't often take action, we usually think others will. I think this way all the time.
    I hope I am going start taking action!
    See you in class.

    ReplyDelete