Monday, May 11, 2009

Share and Voice: Green Up The Slopes


One of the key reasons I decided to attend UMD (besides the quality education program) was to live in a place where snowboarding is one of winters best past times. The other day I was just sitting around with not much to do and I realized I missed the winter just a little bit but more of all I miss snowboarding. Then I started to think about snowboarding and if by any chance there has been a push towards making snowboarding more beneficial to the environment. I stumbled upon Arbor, a surf, skate, and snowboard company committed to providing environmentally friendly products. Many snowboard manufactures use a combination of wood cores, stainless steel edges, fiberglass, resin and occasionally Kevlar. Arbor does not use any fiberglass, stainless steel edges, or Kevlar in production. Most of the boards they manufacture are made out of a variety of wood. Some a combination of poplar, solid bamboo, and paulownia. I know some may think "well, it doesn't seem like they are environmentally friendly if they may be harvesting trees to produce snowboards," but Arbor is not marketing a product made of chemicals that harm the environment like steel, fiberglass and Kevlar. I feel that Arbor is starting a big push towards going green in extreme sports and others will follow. Good thing I'm about due for a new snowboard!

Check out there site if your a fan of boarding! Arbor Snowboarding

2 comments:

  1. Cool post Noah! I am sorry that you miss the winter, but I think you may be close to the only one. I enjoy winter as well, but it was here long enough this year. I am also happy that you have found a place to go to school that has such a great place to snow board. I was amazed to hear that there is a snow board company that is concerned about the environment. Very cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Noah it seems like you're a huge snowboarding fan :) and specifically highly respect Arbor Snowboarding. As I can already imagine you've probably been to Spirit Mountain before; I've heard of great things about that place....keep up the good work with ur post...if this isn't the last one..lol

    ReplyDelete