Friday, February 27, 2009

Review of Documentary: Future of Food


The Future of Food. That is something I have always thought of. I feel that from watching this film, our ancestors who spent there lives gathering and planting seeds would be disgusted if they learned that today we live in a world of genetically modified foods.

That's what this documentary, Future of Food, mainly focused on. A company by the name of Monsanto. One of the largest agricultural companies that has had a history of selling genetically modified seed. This has not always been a problem. The history of seed gathering and planting dates back many of years. The events of WWI, with the production of Nerve gas led to a use of this gas for crops. It was classified as an insecticide and would help crop yields. The start of nitrogen for a fertilizer was also being used. This made a great move into the market. Greener crops were being produced. This technology would increase production and bring down the purchasing price. It seemed that many people liked this, of course if you can get food cheaper with the same great taste who wouldn't love it. The era of new technology being used for agriculture was labeled as the "Green Revolution," but what people didn't see coming next was a new era that would be called the "Gene Revolution".

The company Monsanto produced a genetically modified seed that would already be injected with a gene to make it Roundup ready. Roundup is a herbicide that is usually used to kill weeds and help plant growth. Because Monsanto did this they would be able to patent that seed as their own. What was happening was that Monsanto's product would get blown or somehow placed in a large farmers field. When a Monsanto tester would take some of this crop and conduct a study on it, they would find it to be Monsanto's seed. This resulted in Monsanto filing lawsuits against many farmers, even thought these farmers had no idea how that seed got there. This situation would devastate the farmers. Some farmers were able to fight back with enough support that Monsanto would simply drop the case but make them agree to never talk about the details. Two of more popular Monsanto lawsuits were against Percy Schmeiser and also against Greg Nelson. As one said in the film Monsanto was a large enough company that they were filing lawsuits to scare other farmers into buying their seeds.

Monsanto would change the genes of these seeds by means of injecting the seed with a virus or bacteria that simply replaces a part of the gene and copies itself. This led to the first genetically modified food, the Flavr savr tomato. This hit the market huge but after studies done on rats found that this food was showing signs of lesions, which is a abnormal tissue found on an organism. The product was then removed from the market.

Due to farmers concerns the government set up an agency called the EPA, Environmental Protection Agency. People were proud of this happening but in the end it would be disappointing. The EPA was practically controlled by Monsanto. So decisions that were to be made would be made by a corporation that has been destroying the old farms of America. When I saw this sections in the film that listed all the members of the department I was stunned. Practically every seat in the agency is filled by a Monsanto member.

The starting point of genetically modified food has severely impacted farmer. The passing of the law that allows patenting of foods may have been one of the worse turning points for many farmers in America as well as other countries that import our seed. If that law never would of been enacted I feel it would be a much brighter present for everyone.

My Thoughts

I found this documentary absolutely interesting. I think everyone did. I can recall people shaking their heads during the section when the listing of EPA members was being shown. I was doing the same thing. I can't believe the government creates an agency to help out farmers concerns but yet basically puts it in control of the people the are harming these farmers. I lived on farm for 10 years. My father farmed 80 acres of land for most of his life until calling the quits in late 1990's. He grew mostly corn, but also wheat, and barley to feed the livestock. I remember he used to gather his own seed from the harvest and replant it the next year. I can't recall the exact time but I remember a following year he had switched over to purchasing seed. I hope that the future outlook for farmer is better than what it has been. To many people don't appreciate the few we have left. I know I am going to plan on shopping more at places like the Co-Op to support Americas farmers.

Terms

Herbicide - an agent used to destroy or inhibit plant growth

Gene Modification -
The chemical repair of a gene's defective DNA sequence.

Nerve Gas - an organophosphate chemical weapon that interferes with normal nerve transmission and induces intense bronchial spasm with resulting inhibition of respiration

Nitrogen -
a colorless tasteless odorless element that as a diatomic gas is relatively inert and constitutes 78 percent of the atmosphere and that is a constituent of organic compounds found in all living tissues

Virus -
the causative agent of an infectious disease

Bacteria -
are a large group of unicellular microorganisms



24 comments:

  1. Noah-
    Good post! I agree I found this documentary really interesting. The part were they showed the members of EPA(peopel who are suppose to be helping the farmers) were involved in Monsanto, who were harming the farmers in the first place was horrible. Its hard to believe that the government would do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noah-
    Good post! I too came from a farming family and didn't know the issues that have happened in the past. The lawsuit against Percy was really shocking to me. I admire him for not backing down to Monsanto. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noah,

    I agree that our fore fathers would be rolling in their graves if they knew that there are "Terminator seeds", and genetically altered seeds that have resistant capablities. Who knows how ingesting these foods will effect the recipent of the foods. The food will get broken down once digested. If the lab rats of the Geneticlaly Altered foods died due to immune defficiancy from those foods then just think of the pandemic we would have of people getting sick. I am glad to hear the European countries are sticking to natural foods. This is disgusting to think that we don't even label the GMO foods. Now it will be much harder to find the issues they cause. An example of finding problems in health is with pregnant mothers being injected with medicinces that cause their newborn babies to be born without feet or hands. This was a huge issue in the 50's with babies being affected by the medicines. So, it can happen new technology can affect people in so many ways, this is why testing and precaution is a must.

    If only we could get the EPA to cooroporate and put in Executives that have zero ties to big coorporations. This would help with honest decision making at the upper levels of government.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noah-
    I definitely learned a lot from this film that I never knew. Although I don't have a personal experience with growing up on a farm, I definitely felt bad for the farmers, and want to start buying locally grown foods. Great job listing terms and summarizing the film! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although it wasn't as entertaining as the other films in this class, I did learn a lot from it. I hope companies start to label the GM foods so we know what we're eating. I will also try and buy locally to support local farmers.
    Great Post, Noah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noah

    I think I was for sure shaking my head during the EPA parts. This movie really makes me want to eat more locally grown foods, just to support the local growers now. Hopefully, we don't run into a lot more issues like the Monsato issue. Great Summary

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noah-
    Really good post!! You did a very good job summarizing the movie. I know that I was shaking my head when that list was running as well. I can't believe that the government would do that! I realy liked your picture too..haha!
    Keep up the good work!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I agree that our forefathers would be severely disappointed in us for destroying the science of agriculture. Also, I think that the passing of the patent law was a terrible idea that led to the unfortunate destruction of many small farmers and the loss of crop diversity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Noah,
    That picture is really great...I laughed out loud when I read the caption. You have provided a really great review of the video, and I agree with you when you stated about the class nodding in agreement its funny I didn't think about it at the time but we all were! I really enjoyed reading about how your father is a farmer, and I kept thinking about how much this must have hit home for you... it was so sad to listen to the stories of the family farmers who were having their lives tipped upside down. Great review, you provided a great amount of terms and concepts to further our learning!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Noah, I really liked the links you provided throughout your review...they were very informative. I like how you tied in your own personal story about farming. Like you, I come from a line of family farmers, and I agree: people don't value the family farmer like they used to. I hope the outlook for the future farmer improves, but sadly, it doesn't seem like America is heading down that road.

    ReplyDelete
  11. After this documentary, I've decided I need to take a trip to the co-op more often and not just my local, more convenient grocery store... I'd like to know where the food I eat REALLY comes from!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your picture!! Thats so funny!...but so sad hey! Thats cool to hear that your father used to be a true farmer, and I agree that I hope the future of farmers will be better than the experiences people have had in the past. Support by shopping at the co-op and local farmers is HUGE, keep that mind set and we can all make a difference. Great job Noah!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha your picture is great! I never realized how many foods were genetically modified, it's alarming! It scares me that there will some day be no "natural" foods out there. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Noah-

    Great review! I was one of those people shaking my head as well. How can things change for the better when both sides of the issue are the same people? It's interesting to hear about your family's farm. It seems things like this affect many people,if not directly, someone they know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Noah~ Great picture I loved it!! Also just a tip for next time maybe link your words to where you got them too...just so that you give credit where credit is do!! You did an awesome job on summarizing the whole movie...you must have taken some pretty good notes on all of it! I totally agree with you on how the old farmers would be upset with what is happening with all the seeds now...cause they put in so how work and now it is all being destroyed! Keep up the good work man!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! I was also completely appauled by the fact that the majority of the seats of the EPA were filled by people who work with Monsanto. That is just such a slap in the face for farmers. I was also shocked to hear how innocent farmers' lives were flipped upside down due to genetically modified corn being accidently grown in their field. It was Monsanto's mistake, and yet the farmers are paying for it. This is just horrifying. I couldn't imagine what this would be like to farmers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. great way to set up your review, I liked the picture it made me laugh pretty hard. But it does show how Monsanto is changing the food we eat without knowing what the affects are going to be. I don't think it's right for a company to have the patents to anykind of genes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha nice call on the cartoon. I like how the Frankenfruit is smiling along with the kid. But it really is just weird that GMO's dont have to be labeled, and the fact that Monsanto can get away with whatever the heck they want. Have a good one

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  19. Noah, I really liked the picture at the top, it was so appropriate. I also remember watching everyone in the class get disgusted during certain parts of the movie. It is almost annoying to know that our country seems to work in circles. People who are supposed to "help" others, are the very ones who are doing the harm. It doesn't make any sense.
    In response to your fathers farm, did he call it quits because he wasn't having enough crop yeild, or was it because of retirement? I think it would be great to hear a personal story from someone in our class who had to close down a family farm because of GMO foods taking over. When your dad purchased seeds, were they roundup ready??
    --S

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Noah,

    I think it's safe to say everyone was disgusted at certain parts of this video! That's really cool that you lived on your grandpa's farm for 10 years...I wonder what your grandpa would say/think if he saw this video? Probably wouldn't be a fan. But very well-written summary! Seeya later!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post Noah! I think everyone was a little thrown back by parts of this film...the picture also made me laugh:) The old farmers would totally be upset if they saw this film..how sad is that? Great review:) Keep it up Noah!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, what a powerful picture Noah! It really summarizes this documentary!
    I also never thought about our ancestors, what a good thought though! They would be horrified by what is going on today. I think this documentary really opened by eyes to a whole new thought and viewpoint on GMO's.
    I am sure you felt directly for these farmers considering your father was one too!
    I think I am going to try the Co-Op sometime, it would definitely be a healthy experience!!
    Thanks for a great post Noah!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Noah,
    Good post. I imagine that this would be very interesting to anyone in the farming industry. I couldn't believe that there were that many people working for the gov. then working for Monsanto, that's like spying or even treason, but I guess not when is comes to agriculture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice pic!
    I agree; this documentary was very interesting. I couldn't believe what the US goverment is doing to all these innocent farmers. I hope the future of farmers would be better too, like you said. I also very shocked by the fact that food companies are not required to label GMO products.
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete